September 15, 1917 ~ January 11, 2013
Nellie Murphy Mills, age 95, died on January 11th 2013 at home in Lawrenceville Georgia. And now she has entered her eternal rest. Nellie, more affectionately known as Mamma to grandchildren and great grandchildren, lived a long and full life. She was born in Reeltown, Alabama, on September 15th, 1917 to Cliff Murphy and Mary Ethel Moore. Her early years, until marriage, were lived in Thomaston, Georgia. Nellie had one sister, Eunice and one brother Cliff Jr., or "Junior" both deceased. Her brother Junior was a World War II veteran, seeing combat in Italy and Europe and was in the Normandy Invasion. Nellie married at an early age to Dexie M.R. Mills of Thomaston, now deceased, and they had one child, a daughter, Claudia Mills Jordan. Nellie eventually moved to Atlanta and then Stone Mountain, Georgia where she worked at Rich's until retirement in 1990. Nellie was a life long member of the Methodist Church, and was known far and wide for her exquisite hand made quilts and afghans and needlework. She was an artisan with her hands until arthritis made it impossible for her to work her magic. She loved to fish and was a devoted fan of the Atlanta Braves, enjoying their games on T.V. and keeping up with individual players. She enjoyed reading and working crossword puzzles. One of the highlights of her life was traveling all the way to Japan to welcome her second grandson born at Yokota Air Force Base. She was gentle, virtuous woman, full of grace and quiet determination. She is survived by her daughter, Claudia Jordan, son-in-law, Al Jordan, Grandchildren, David, Julia, Laura, Andy, Paul and Lorna and great-grandchildren Jessica, Spence, Connor, Murphy, her namesake, Jared, Rachel and Mitchell. She is also survived by nephew Bruce Hayes and wife, Jeannie and niece Mary Glover and grandniece Jessica Murphy Butler. As she always said to those departing her home, toodaloo, Mamma. We love you and we'll be good. In Lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the Methodist Childrens Home in Decatur, GA.